Pages

Tuesday 6 November 2012

Dreadlocks look good on pirates

(Not ponies).

Well, that'll teach me for complaining about how hairy he was and saying that I wished he would hurry up and moult.

He moulted, all right.  He dropped his coat pretty much overnight, and during a period of heavy rain.  The end result: dreadlocks all over.  Not such a good look.

Here's some rather embarrassing pictures of Tama before and after an initial grooming session:



After several more grooming sessions he now has only a few of the tighter mats left on his more sensitive areas (tummy and flanks).  I don't want to pull those out because they'll hurt him.  I'll wait until he finishes his moult and then they should just fall out.

He currently looks a little like a very well-loved teddy bear, with some patches of long hair and some that are very short.  (I think the teddy bear simile is kinder than "moth eaten" which is also a good description and no less accurate!).

Even though I've been focusing a lot of attention on the new foal, we've had some good training sessions lately and Tama now backs up on a hand signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment